The network infrastructure on which telcos, service providers and mobile network operators depend today is complex, having evolved over time into an intricate mass of legacy hardware and software systems. This can make the allocation of physical network resources in data centres, points of presence, radio access networks and core/edge infrastructure to support the provisioning of on demand cloud service workloads a slow and complex task.
In the area of SDN & NFV Xantaro provides solutions for Software Defined Networking (SDN) and Network Function Virtualisation (NFV) to deliver virtual network overlays that abstract resources from the underlying hardware infrastructure and dynamically assign them to automated virtual workloads.
Software Defined Networking (SDN)
- Using tunneling protocols to build paths between SDN controllers and hypervisors, creating virtual network containers isolated from one another for single or multi-tenanted cloud service provisioning requirements.
- Delivering support for segmented network resources which can be allocated to specific customers, customer groups or types of cloud services to help ensure availability where required.
- Decoupling the control plane from the data plane to simplify network routing and forwarding functions and allow centralised infrastructure management and traffic control.
- Supporting application programming interfaces (APIs) which can be used to program applications directly to virtual network resources.
- Utilising protocols such as Virtual Extensible LAN (VXLAN), network virtualisation generic encapsulation (NVGRE) and stateless transport tunneling (STT) to support WAN based virtual overlays which span multiple hosting facilities to meet service scalability and resilience purposes, as well as virtual networks over multiple branch offices.
Network Function Virtualisation
- VIRTUALISED NETWORK FUNCTIONS
Moving away from stacking boxes and providing network functions by using virtualized appliances.
- SERVICE CHAINING
Dynamically and automatically combining individual services into service chains enables us to hand craft use case driven solutions instantly.
- SCALING ON DEMAND
Starting with a small footprint helps to keep costs down when first deploying a solution; adding additional resources when the demand increases or peak load occur can be as easy as spinning up additional instances. No need to haul in additional equipment.
DATA CENTRE INFRASTRUCTURE ABSTRACTION
Solutions for high scale data centres to scale beyond traditional boundaries of legacy technology such as 4096 tenants (vlans) per layer 2 infrastructure or a given amount of ports per device.
- OVERLAY ARCHITECTURES
Overlay networks to enable traditional data centre infrastructures to connect across data centre islands spread across the whole world to provide applications or services by the cloud.